Sunday, August 25, 2013

Is it really THAT difficult to give service with a smile?

During a shopping trip the other day I got an unwelcome but stark reminder of how NOT to engage with customers.  So marked was the difference between 1 outlet and another I thought it’d be useful to share.

Picture this:

My first stop was to a well-known car and bicycle accessories chain.  Upstairs first, to the bike counter to get a new inner tube.  “How are you today” one chap asked. “I guess I’m OK” I answered honestly as wasn’t having the best of days, meanwhile someone else offered to find what I needed.  There followed a pleasant, not earth shattering, but pleasant conversation about cycling, the weather and the merits of exercise (one chap was particularly large and clearly not familiar with exercise at all).  And then downstairs for a valve to pump up my Pilates exercise ball.  Again someone found exactly what I needed.  “Thank you” I said, “pleasure” she said.  Simple as that, but it was enough to lift my spirits and turn an OK day into quite a nice one really.

Next stop was a major DIY chain.  Having found what I wanted I approached the checkout.  Both members of staff were busy chatting to each other, barely acknowledging me. My purchase was scanned and the card payment machine pushed in my direction.  Still not a word, or even a glance.  “Thank you” I said when the transaction finished wondering if there was going to be any response at all.  What did I get? “No worries” upon which he quickly resumed his conversation.  Not a smile, not even a glance in my direction but a “No worries”.  

It didn’t turn my nice day back to an OK-ish day, but was a salutary reminder to never forget that your customers are king and should be treated as such.